> Located at the base of Mount Canobolas, 10km south west of Orange CBD
> A popular attraction
> Walking track around the lake
> Lake ideal for swimming and canoeing (no powered equipment allowed)
> Picnic and BBQ facilities
> Historic Pump House
> Lake stocked for fishing with trout
> Free entry
> Open every day 9am – 5pm except Christmas Day
> Dogs not permitted
> Built in 1918 for Orange’s water supply. Now recreational use only
> Dams Molong Creek (formerly Meadow Creek)
> Capacity 567 million litres
> Wall 268m long and at the highest point is 12.2m high.
Lake Canobolas Pump House
Lake Canobolas was originally Meadow Creek Reservoir and built in 1917. It contains the equipment that was used to pump water to Orange from 1918 to 1957.
The Pump House contains three main pieces of equipment. The first is a gas producer that uses using charcoal, coal or coke. The gas produced fuels the suction gas engine that is situated in the centre of the pump house. At the far end of the pump house are two pumps, each consisting of three pumping pistons.
The gas producing end of the shed is 7.315 metres long and includes the gas generator, coke scrubber and coke dump. It seems that the plant was setup to run on coke as only traces of this have been found.
The machinery was manufactured in England in 1915 by Richard Hornsby and Sons Ltd of Grantham and Stockport, England. The double cylinder suction gas engine rated at 128 horsepower, engine number 50137. This was the last engine built by Richard Hornsby and Sons Ltd prior to World War I when the plant was given over to the war effort.
Restoration of the Pump House and Engine was carried out by students of Fitting and Machining, Carpentry and Joinery, Painting and Decoration and Plumbing from Orange TAFE as a 1988 Bicentennial Project.
Lake Canobolas Pump House is situated at Lake Canobolas Reserve. The Pump House is located on the eastern side of Lake Canobolas and is open daily from 9am to 5pm except Christmas Day.
MORE ORANGE INFORMATION: